Printing single lay...

Notifications
Clear all

Printing single layer  

Kieran
(@keetom)

Hi all

I am trying to print a single layer of material (in Z). The model I am printing is only 0.8mm thick so a single layer on the 0.8mm nozzle should be possible. However I cannot force the printer to do it, it always prints in 2 layers. I set the layer height to 0.8mm, and also force the first layer, infill, perimeter to use the 0.8mm nozzle.

The reason i want a single layer is I'm printing in PLA natural and looking for a print as transparent as possible, whilst maintaining dimensional accuracy in X & Y.

Prints I have achieved so far:

- printing on Fine settings with a layer height of 0.4 in two layers - result is not  very transparent but dimensionally accurate.

- printing two layers (0.8mm and 0.4mm layer height have the same result). Print is more transparent but dimensionally un-accurate. Also thick boundaries between X-Y layers with 0.8mm nozzle negatively affect the transparency.

Any suggestions how I could achieve what I'm after? Ideal scenario is a single 0.8mm layer in Z, whilst still being fairly accurate in XY.

Topic starter Posted : 25th November 2020 9:32 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@keetom You don't want a single layer at that thickness; you won't get a transparent layer; you will get something make up of a series of cylinders. You need to squish the passes together to get a good result. 

What I have had the best luck with is using ColorFabb HT CO-PET in clear and printing at 100% infill with a print temperature of about 270C. Print at 200 um layers or 100 um layers for the 0.3 mm nozzle and not thicker than 600 um for the 0.8 mm nozzle. You will need to sand the top and bottom to get a clear result and it won't be perfect, but it gets really close. 

Natural PLA will have a yellowish tint and will be cloudy. The clear PET will give you much better results. 

At this time I do not know if it is possible to print a single layer on the Robox. It has been in the past, but I haven't tried it for some time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26th November 2020 3:36 am
Kieran
(@keetom)

@bhudson thanks for your reply! Unfortunately CO-PET isn't available from CEL at the moment so I've had to print in PLA. The print doesn't need to be 100% clear but I'd like to maximise what I can get with PLA. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go now. I'm printing the natural PLA at 205C. How high do you think its safe to go without causing damage or scrapping the print?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26th November 2020 11:37 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@keetom nGen clear is in stock at CEL per their website. You can also buy it from Colorfabb directly; you just need to put the reel on a reel holder and select the material from the drop down menu or create a manual profile with Advanced Mode active.

I would not take PLA over 210C.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26th November 2020 3:26 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.