Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Print Head not reco...

Notifications
Clear all

Print Head not recognised

JonBoyProp
(@jonboyprop)

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to fix an issue with the extruder not pushing the filament through and ultimately starving the head of filament, but I believe i may have got to the root of that problem. Before taking the extruder out for maintenance I removed the head using the setting within AutoMaker and then physically removed the head. I removed the extruder and separated it from the bowden tube and then re attached everything and turned the machine back on.

I seem to be unable to get the head to show up in AutoMaker. I've done nothing different to previous times I've removed the head, but I keep getting the message: "Switch off the printer and attach a head" before I can print anything. The fan and headlights are both functional, it cant seem to recognise the head.

I've cleaned the connections on the back and checked all of the cables going to the print head and nothing is glaringly obvious. 

Hopefully its just one thing that I've missed (I'm just starting out in my 3D printing journey so I'm learning things as I go) and that it can be resolved easily.

Thanks in advance 👍 

Topic starter Posted : 11th May 2022 10:48 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

This is usually due to one of several damage problems and may be due to another issue that can possibly be solved without parts.

1. The POGO pins on the head carriage are worn out or damaged. There were some very old units that had pins that would wear out. If yours is one of these you will need a new head carriage PCB. 

2. Damage to the ribbon cable. If the ribbon cable is worn it can break and not be obvious. This is especially true if you have the old version that isn't in the cable chain. If you have the ribbon cable and power cable in a cable chain you should be fine. 

3. The retaining screw in the back of the head carriage may have broken and doesn't hold the head tight anymore. This requires a new screw. 

Try this also:

With the printer turned on, open AutoMaker, click Settings and Print Head. There will be a button for Reset on the bottom of the page. You may need to enable Advanced Mode first. If that button is gray, your head is not detected. If it is white, the head is detected but the head data has been wiped. Turn off the printer and remove the head. Write down the serial number, and then reinstall the head. Turn on the printer and click Reset under the head page. Enter the data, making sure you choose the right head type! You may have to scroll to see them all. Then enter your print head serial number and recalibrate the print head. If you have any questions about this process open a support ticket.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12th May 2022 4:04 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.