Power Supply test b...

Notifications
Clear all

Power Supply test before v2 Mainboard?

Tom Gidden
(@gid)
Honorable Member

Hey! Long Time No See... looks like my last post was three years ago.  Real Life caught up with me and I couldn't find the time/stamina to do any 3D stuff.

With the whole open-source move happening, I dusted off my Robox Kickstarter-Beta-retrofitted-to-Dual last year, but it won't show up on USB or do anything.  The lights are (literally) on, but no-one's home.  I think something might've gone bang, and from experience, I think the mainboard is fried.  I inspected it but didn't see any signs of magic smoke egress.

As it has one of the original beta PSUs (as far as I know), and has gone through a couple of mainboards so far, I'm a bit suspicious of the PSU.  The Robox always made a bit of a glitchy pop sound and odd flash from the LEDs sometimes when switched on or off.  I've always wondered if a power spike from the PSU could cause issues.

I put in an order for the v2 Mainboard, as I figure I might as well give it one final upgrade, or cut my losses and send the printer to live out its life on a farm up north where it can frolic with the other elderly printers along with a large pile of unused filament.

So, should I worry about the PSU before I plug in the new mainboard when it arrives? Is there a way to test the PSU, or anything I should watch out for?

Unfortunately, I moved 130 miles away, so can no longer just pop down the street to CEL's office and get them to take a look.

And, do you think it's worth stumping up the extra £100 for a V2 board + overhaul, rather than going the £200 DIY route?  £300 seems a lot for something I haven't used for some time -- especially if the PSU needs replacing on top of that -- but on the other hand it'd be a shame to scrap it if it can be restored.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

Topic starter Posted : 1st April 2021 11:40 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@gid I have seen PSUs fail, but not often. I have two KS units and they still have their original power supplies. If you suspect the PSU for any reason though I would see if you can justify the expense to have it gone over, and I would ask for the PSU to be replaced just in case. It is rare, but I have seen a bad PSU take out a mainboard.

Your issue though sounds like a mainboard USB problem. If you unplug the printer power cable and turn off the power switch, then press and hold the eject button on the left side of the machine while plugging in the USB cable it will start the mainboard on USB only. This will determine if the mainboard is still USB active. If it is, I would replace the PSU and the microSD card. If it isn't detected, you have a bad mainboard and I would suspect the PSU. 

I have also seen dodgy USB ports on PCs damage the mainboard, so that is another thing to check. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 2nd April 2021 2:15 am
Tom Gidden
(@gid)
Honorable Member

@bhudson Hmm. Interesting...  I haven't tried that trick -- I'll give that a go.

I checked the USB port itself as best I could without desoldering it.  

Without trying that trick, it absolutely does not appear on anything I plugged into it. A Raspberry Pi didn't list any attach/detach in the system log, and neither did my Mac.

Last time I successfully used it (about 18 months ago) it had zapped the microSD card -- I simply replaced that -- so maybe something weird was going on then.

IIRC, the mainboard was a new revision straight from the factory that arrived at CEL the day I was there, so @chrisyt tried it out. It needed a PSU tweak for that revision.  The previous board (KS beta) was acting strange.

I think I will send it back to CEL for an overhaul and the v2 upgrade.  My main sticking point is whether I can be bothered packaging it up and figuring out the courier!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 4th April 2021 5:24 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@gid Get in touch with CEL. They may have return resources that will make it easier to do the return. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4th April 2021 5:29 pm
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @gid  Hmm. Interesting...  I haven't tried that trick -- I'll give that a go.

It's well worth doing it @gid, and I had a problem machine, that hadn't been used for a while that I repaired, did the microSD card swap with another, no joy, and used another to "reformat". That eject button and switch on combo will almost always make macOS see the serial port, but it make take a couple of goes.

AutoMakerOS is a joy to play with, and although not all want the enablements or features, as they find it complicated, it isn't really, as most are defaults anyway. I have seen improved print quality with my work to date vs the old Pro, but for those that don't need it there always the default Cura engine. :)

Hope you get your Robox sorted 

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th April 2021 5:55 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.