[resolved - head no...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [resolved - head not secured] Constant Failures  

RSS
James B
(@jgbrewsterdstl-gov-uk)

Is anyone else experiencing a ridiculous number of failures with the robox?

in the past year i have got through 4 print heads and only had about a 30-40% success rate with prints.

either the head is getting jammed up with material, the print is becoming detached from the bed, the head fails to print in the same place and doesn't print straight or it fails to extrude properly.

It seems to be failure after failure and I've had enough of this machine!!

Time for a different printer?!?

Posted : 28th June 2018 8:48 am
Jared Reabow
(@jaredareabow)
Eminent Member

ill buy it off you if you want to get rid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th June 2018 8:51 am
hagster
(@hagster)
Reputable Member

Hi James,

I had a few failed heads a while back, but so long as they were working and calibrated I experience really high sucess rate. 95% plus.

The upgrades that came with the DM kit made an improvement as well as switching to TitanX ABS and buying a fresh thermosurface(sand blasted).

Hard to diagnose your problems from the info provided, but I assume you have been through the support portal for solutions. If that doesnt fix it then raise a ticket. You can also get a back to base service.

The Robox is definatly capable of very reliable operation if it is well set up without any mechnical issues, but like any other 3D printer if there are mechnical problems it can be frustrating to pin point the root cause.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29th June 2018 9:34 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@jgbrewsterdstl-gov-uk have you had good results since you received the replacement head?

Please ask for help if you are seeing consistent failures or flaws as the support we offer will also increase the lifetime of the hardware.

The absolute worst thing you can do for your head using the available controls is increase flow beyond the available capacity or force material into a closed nozzle.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th July 2018 9:48 am
Charles Jackson
(@chazr33gtr)
Reputable Member

@James B @17bt

I've been through a good few numbers of heads too,, 6 (duals) I think in total over just under 2 years all from leaking seals (4 through just using Automaker and not Repetier/Cura).  The later heads supposedly fix this.. but there are inherent design issues with it.  Myself and others have designed an aftermarket head that still uses valves but removes some of the issues with the CEL version.    Just trying to find time to manufacture it along with the Robox Dual Extension Kit, have a life, do my aerospace day job etc etc..

Top tip, look after you Z drive  rods carefully or you will find these will fail too and are very difficult to source as they come complete with the Z Axis stepper. Tho if it ever happens we have a modular replacement upgrade that works with dissimilar nut and rod metals so they don't jam, a different thread pitch (again to stop jams) and a stepped collar that allows you to separate the rods from the stepper motor, such that if they ever get damaged again you can just replace the Rod rather than the whole thing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th July 2018 4:19 pm
Aleksey
(@aleksey)
Eminent Member

@chazr33gtr 

Hi Charles! Could you please sent photos and other information about printhead that you designed? 

Best regards! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th February 2020 1:50 pm
Charles Jackson
(@chazr33gtr)
Reputable Member

@aleksey

Hi Aleksey, if you head over to the unofficial forum on facebook you will see images of a single nozzle, needle valve free head that uses standard 3d printing J head hoteneds.   In final stages of manufacture just awaiting delivery of custom head PCB.

As for the dual head, thats with mike crane to sort, he has the design and is just trying to find time to manufacture

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th February 2020 7:44 pm
Aleksey
(@aleksey)
Eminent Member

@chazr33gtr 

Hi Charles. Sorry, I don't use Facebook. Maybe you can send information on my e-mail (3dprint.ek@mail.ru) ??? 

Best regards? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th February 2020 7:58 pm
Dounebank
(@dounebank)
Eminent Member

@chazr33gtr

What is the name or the address of Facebook forum

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15th October 2020 1:34 am
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer
Posted by: @hagster

"The Robox is definatly capable of very reliable operation if it is well set up without any mechnical issues, but like any other 3D printer if there are mechnical problems it can be frustrating to pin point the root cause."

🤣 😀 😀 😀 

This is a scrap! I would ban its sale!
After 30 hours of work, a dual head is ruined!?!? 

What are we talking about !!!!

The idea is good (valve system), the implementation is zero!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd October 2020 10:00 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@nagyandrass 30 hours is within the warranty period of a print head unless it is more than 100 days from the date of purchase. If you are within that timeframe, look at a warranty replacement. This is what the warranty is for. 

I have not seen a lot of DM heads fail from the later batches. You might want to look into getting a replacement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23rd October 2020 1:44 am
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@bhudson

Unfortunately, I exceeded the 100-day warranty period. (100 days joke category!)

The top of the needle valve was leaking, but I fixed it myself and made another sealing system.
There are a lot of complaints to read about printhead failure. Why don't they do something to improve quality?

I still think the valve system is a good idea, but the workmanship is bad!
I would not let you sell your product with such an error rate!

This post was modified 1 month ago by 82_András
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23rd October 2020 8:59 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@nagyandrass I don't know why the time limit was added to the warranty; I agree with you it isn't fair to the customer. I know that early versions of the DM head had some assembly challenges that lead to seal failures. My experience is that the later batches had good seals. What is the first set of four numbers on the head you are complaining about? 

Please also keep in mind that for every head complaint you read about there are several hundred or more that you don't read about. You don't read people talking about how wonderful their product is most of the time, you only hear about the bad ones. I have personally run several heads to over 1500 print hours before they failed and several of those I was able to repair and keep using. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24th October 2020 3:53 am
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@bhudson

I bought the head in April 2020. I guess this is already the new kind of head. If I got the head from the first series, be even more ashamed of CEL!
Already upon arrival, I signaled to CEL that something was wrong with the dualhead. One of the valves was already clogged during commissioning. I invested several hours in getting it to work, but it wasn’t perfect even then.
Then around 30 hours of operation it started leaking on top.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27th October 2020 7:21 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@nagyandrass

I have seen two print heads in 6 years actually clogged. Both were from outside debris and it took at least 15 print hours for it to show up. I have never seen a clogged head from the factory. They test them before they are shipped, which is why there is filament in the head when you get it. 

What I have seen is users who forgot to calibrate the head or had a problem with their printer hardware that lead to a bad calibration or a bad connection. So if your head was clogged from the factory it is the first one I have ever heard of. It would also have been covered under warranty, and if it lead to the later seal failure that would also have been covered. 

So something doesn't add up for me. Some information is missing. CEL doesn't deny warranty coverage without reason. 

I can't tell when your head was made unless you give the first set of four numbers in the serial number as I asked. 

Where did you buy the print head?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th October 2020 12:58 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.