Notifications
Clear all

Two color Printing - first layer start color  

RSS
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

Hello

For two-color printing, what does it depend on which color you start printing with?
Can it be influenced which starting color should be in the first layer?

Posted : 8th May 2020 1:01 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

@nagyandrass Your model determines the first layer. All models assigned to material 1 will print with their first layer in material 1. If you assign your models to Material 2, they will print with material 2. There isn't a way to assign materials per layer to a single model file. Materials are assigned per body in your file.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th May 2020 11:45 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

The first layer has two models with two different colors. How can I specify which model to start with? See attached image. I want you to start with the red to make the red frame beautiful.

1589109181-IMG_20200510_130017.jpg
1589109203-IMG_20200510_125950.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th May 2020 12:13 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@nagyandrass I explained it above - you have to have different bodies in your model file in order to print dual colors. This is common with all multi-material printers. If you don't have different bodies in your file you can't print with more than one color per layer. 

There is a good support article on the support site on getting started with multi-material printing. You should read that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th May 2020 7:04 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@bhudson

I understand what you described, but the object I printed is the two models.
Two models are open simultaneously in AM.
See the pictures for the two separate models.

1589135662-alap.jpg
1589135682-perem.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th May 2020 7:34 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@nagyandrass You obviously haven't understood what I have said. You need to read the article I pointed out to you.

Just assign your materials to your models and you will get the results you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th May 2020 7:39 pm
Mark Porter
(@markeporter)
Eminent Member

@bhudson This article covers the basic mechanics of getting the two models into AutoMaker. Can you recommend any guidance for preparing models, and ensuring that they end up in the right position? I've been printing single colour models on my Robox for years, and the dual head has been gathering dust. I'd like to try something like taking a single colour model, striping it, then printing it in two colours.

I'm sure that CEL had some such guidance once, but it seems that over time this site has changed, and maybe the material has dropped off somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17th May 2020 8:33 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@markeporter The only guidance we can provide is that your model must have separate bodies for every color. There are so many different programs that users can use to create the STL files that we don't have the time to create tutorials on how to do this.

Sorry I can't provide more information, but getting the models to this state is a little out of the realm of our support. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17th May 2020 8:57 pm
Mark Porter
(@markeporter)
Eminent Member

@bhudson Perhaps some guidance on using the sample 3D models. I've looked through the "Dual Material" folder in the CEL download sample zip file, but these all look like distinct models to me, and not part of a printable set. E.g. "rbx_twisted_cone.obj" doesn't appear to be appropriate to dual material printing. At the moment an example pair of models that could be printed together, one in each colour, would help get me started.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17th May 2020 9:27 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@markeporter The example you brought up is a dual material model with three distinct bodies. I have attached a screenshot showing it set up with two colors or materials in AutoMaker. 

Copied below is the pertinent paragraph from the support article on how to set up dual material printing. This is copied straight from the support page: 

Printing a Model - Two Colors or Two Materials

The other use for the dual material system is to print models with two different colors of the same material or two different materials. Some examples include combining rigid and flexible materials such as PLA and nylon or TPU, or printing a model in two different colors of PLA. A dual material or dual color model has the requirement of two or more different bodies in the file, a OBJ format usually, or two different files with the same origin point, usually 2 or more STL files. See the article here for assistance in selecting compatible materials: (coming soon)

1. Open a new project.
  2. Click Add Model. 
  3. Browse to your model location. 
  4. If your model is an OBJ, select the file and click Open. If your model is multiple STL files, use the multiple select option of your PC to select all the files you wish to add and click Open. You can also load multiple STL or OBJ files from a single ZIP folder.
  5. The model(s) will load into the center of the build plate picture and will be grouped. You can select all the models as one for normal positioning operations such as moving the model to a different position on the build plate or rotating the model.
  6. Position your mouse pointer over a model or part of a model that you wish to change to the other material.
  7. Double click the left mouse button to select that part of the model. The selected model will be opaque and the other parts of the model will turn transparent. 
  8. Change the material assignment with the Material 1 or Material 2 button. You can also globally swap materials at any time by selecting the model group and clicking the Change Material button.
  9. Click on an empty point on the build plate to deselect the model.
  10. Repeat as required until all models or components have the proper materials selected. The materials will show blue or orange per their assignment to Material 1 or Material 2, respectively. Note that the color of the model corresponds to the assigned material - blue for Material 1 and orange for Material 2. These colors are assigned no matter what colors the installed filament is. This is so that you can use two materials of the same color and still assign materials accurately.
  11. Click "To Settings". The build plate will reorient and the colors of the models will change to match the programmed color of the filament selected. 
  12. Set the layer height and infill settings. These are set globally and apply to both colors or materials.
  13. Select support options. You can select Material 1 or Material 2 for the support material. If you have Material 1 being supported by Material 1 or vice versa, you will want to enable the Support Gap to make it easier to remove the support. If both materials are the same type, using the same color of material for the support may be preferred. 
  14. Confirm everything looks good, and click "Make". 

1589747585-DMCone.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17th May 2020 9:33 pm
Mark Porter
(@markeporter)
Eminent Member

Thanks for your help Ben. I can use the examples now, but it still feels like watching a magician do a trick, with the frustration of wanting to know how it is done. I didn't realise that the .obj contains multiple models.

The cone file loads as a model group. If I follow the procedure above I can change the material colours. I've found that it is unwise to Ungroup it, because the spirals have centres that are +/-0.2mm off in X and +/-0.9mm off in Y, probably because of their shape.

So, I can print the Robox examples but would really like to print my own, which takes me back to my original question; e.g. how were the example files generated.?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18th May 2020 7:27 am
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@markeporter

In CAD forums you can then read how to create and position multiple models.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18th May 2020 10:57 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@markeporter Without knowing what CAD program you are using, downloading that program, learning it, and then writing up a tutorial, I can't answer your question. If you haven't chosen a CAD program yet, I would have to do the steps above to every CAD program you might want to use. 

This is something you will need to learn on your own.

If you would like a tutorial, I can probably arrange it, but it won't be cheap because teaching you to run CAD is not part of CEL support.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19th May 2020 2:03 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.