Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Printing several ob...

Notifications
Clear all

Printing several objects at the same time but one at a time

Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

When printing many small objects it can be a problem that the first gets too cool when the printer gets back to print the second layer.

Is it possible to spread out the objects to avoid head collisions and instead finish one object a a time? Would speed up things very much if you want to print many objects but can't print them at the same time using normal strategy.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by Bengt
Topic starter Posted : 2nd August 2021 2:53 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt Not currently possible to my knowledge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 3rd August 2021 4:10 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

I read about someone using such a feature but not with Robox. I think it would be goof to have. I have printed parts that are just impossible to print more than one of at a time and if you want to print 20 of them it takes a very long time to do. You really need to set the printer for print 24 hours a day for such prints.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 3rd August 2021 8:09 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt Yes, it can be done with several slicers. One of the challenges though is the clearance for the print head has to be taken into account and that will greatly reduce the available bed space. With a printer like the Robox that has limited bed space as it is, it may not be all that useful. The Pro may use a feature like that more, but it will still remove probably half or more of the usable bed area. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4th August 2021 4:54 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

In X direction it is easy. It is just the head width + the size of the parts that will define the numer of possible objects. For my Pro that would be  up to 5 objects. But Y direction is not so easy. A problem with Robox for such a task is that the tubes goes a long way on the back so the distance in Y must be very large or the objects very flat. For higher objects only two rows will be possible.

But to sum up, RoboxPro could print 10 small objects at the same time using this method. That's not so bad!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 4th August 2021 6:48 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

If you are printing the same items with the same patterns all the time then you can, taking all risk as your own, edit the g-code files. It will be a relatively simple cut and paste job to slice and then combine a code sequence which has parts at several locations on the bed and are completed one at a time.

You will need to identify in the code where to place the copied code.

In between each segment of code you will need to manually add code which moves the head to the new XY location and also drops the head down to the bed surface again to start a new layer (Without crashing into the previously printed items and breaking bits off your printer  :) ).

You may also need to make adjustments for additional "first layers" which, you will notice in the g-code, have different settings for motion and temperature to most layers.

It will take some head scratching and cautious experimentation but once you have working code you can repeat it very easily.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th August 2021 4:16 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

Oh and if you start at the front of the bed and work your way backward you should be able to avoid collisions with the tubes.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th August 2021 4:18 pm
JeffB
(@jeffb)
Trusted Member

ten pin bowling?

The clearing machine gets rid of the standing pins

If there was a storage area at the front of the platform
the head could clear the printed objects

to that area and start again

Yes its most likely not going to work as I said it

but there is a kernel of an idea

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th August 2021 10:23 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

I printed some items to try an automatic bed clearing.

I put the printer on it's right side on a bin. I kept it slightly tilted toward the base to prevent the head from lifting.

I repeated the g-code and included a wait time for the bed to cool enough for the part to slide off. I think the material was PETG.

The part printed fine sideways and almost always slid off without my interaction.

I was never brave enough to let it do more than a few :) I have no idea if this would effect the life of the printer so only try it at your own risk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13th August 2021 11:03 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

If I wan to try anything of this, there do I find the sliced print file to edit the GCodes?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27th August 2021 6:37 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

go to \Documents\CEL Robox\PrintJobs

in this folder find the most recent folder, it will have strange name. inside the folder you wil lfind all the code. The code which gets sent to robox ends with:

_robox.gcode

for example:

57f6cbf7a9444bc0_robox.gcode

Once you have edited the code you can go to automaker and use the Reprint menu to start that job again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27th August 2021 4:13 pm
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member

@bengt 

I just dropped in here, and I saw your old post. We have One At A Time printing here in a fork of the AutomakerOS, you can see the tick box highlighted. If unchecked the multiple models are printed layer by layer en masse as normal, but you have to think about how you load the models on the build plate to avoid head collisions. I have used it, it's really useful for smaller parts, and I just move the model to the edge of the build plate, duplicate and move the model to the right spot to avoid collisions, then duplicate again etc. IIRC AutoMaker assigns numbers to the STLs and they are done sequentially. You can see how it'll print in the GCodeViewer by sliding the layer view.

We haven't worked on this for a while, but it does do Tree Support, Adaptive Layers, One At A Time as well as some other Cura 4.11 enhancements.

There is a link in the Facebook group to a compiled version, that you can swap a few files around, and try it.

Mike

1644156418-AutoMakerOS-OATT.png
ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2022 2:06 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.