Notifications
Clear all

Robox reel spooler  

RSS
paulsroom
(@paulsroom)
Honorable Member

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1905447

Because I've bought a couple of PLA reels from other suppliers, mainly because of the colour, they don't come on the Robox Smart Reels.  I looked around for a custom spooler to transfer them to a Smart Reel, but couldn't find anything that really worked for me.  So I decided that 3D printing allows me to make my own custom spooler.

I didn't want to bother with stands, so unconventionally I've designed it to lay flat and screwed or pinned to a base - this may change later.  So the Robox reel sits on the section that replicates the finger holes when loading the reel, but of course are standing locators in this case.  The top section replicates all 24 locking spigots distributed correctly on the internal diameter.  The top section is the one that rotates as you wind the filament on.

I made an allowance for a handle but find it easier to turn the top section by hand through the large holes.  Okay it's not automatic but it's convenient for me.

Posted : 21st November 2016 12:06 pm
Steve H
(@evilsteve)
Eminent Member

That looks simple but effective, thanks for sharing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd November 2016 12:23 pm
paulsroom
(@paulsroom)
Honorable Member

I have reviewed my Robox spooler design and revised all the files completely (see image).  So if anyone has downloaded them from Thingiverse, please discard those and download the new ones.  I have now added spoolers for ColorFabb and CG Chemicals reels.  The design is laid out like a tape deck and you use both hands to turn both reels when transferring filament, so I have ditched the handle.  I have widened the Robox spooler stand to allow for the large reels from ColorFabb and CG Chemicals.  The important aspect is to load the filament anti-clockwise to the Robox smart reel, so that it feeds into the printer clockwise.  So there are location holes fro left or right filament transfer.

By the way the Robox spooler stand now fills the width of the Robox print bed completely with just a couple of millimetres to spare.

reel-spoolers.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27th November 2016 2:09 pm
James Swailes
(@lonewolf345)

@paulsroom Whatever happened to your spooler?  It looks great.   It's no longer on Thingiverse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14th October 2019 2:48 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.