Z Gantry - Can this...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Z Gantry - Can this be correct? How do I fix it?  

RSS

After suffering awful print jobs, I decided to go through the Maintenance library (calibration, valve opening etc). While doing the Level Gantry routine, I noticed (by eye) that it was not level to the bed? Following the "Manually Levelling the Z Gantry" notes and removing the Side Cover, I see this:

See attached image.

Shouldn't the nuts (highlighted top & bottom) be held in the lead-screw housing?

Can I fix this? Or has it got to go back to the workshop?

REgards, Martin

1601715179-Z-Gantry_LHS.png
2 Answers

That is a sign of a lack of maintenance or driving the head down with the gantry out of level. The dust and dirt of every day use builds up on the Z screws and must be cleaned and the lubricant replaced periodically per the maintenance instructions in the help section of the CEL website. 

I suggest that you open a support ticket to get the instructions to repair the issue after you have cleaned it. This will also help ensure you have a contact established in the event that you need to purchase a replacement Z drive due to damage.

Posted by: @bhudson

That is a sign of a lack of maintenance....

After only ~100hours use?

The only way I can see that the (spring loaded) nuts can drift apart, as seen in the image, is if they were not in the Z-Screw housing from the start?

However, as the saying goes: "There's always a silver...". While refitting the Z-Nuts, I noted that the two (LM6UU) bearing were completely shot! Two new bearings fitted and walla.... Solved a long standing issue: See "What is happening here?"

Regards, Martin

@mprowe I have seen bearings and nuts damaged very quickly by running the printer in very dirty conditions. It may be that the bearings were defective, but you shouldn't see both of them fail and the screw fail on one side without some external cause. I would still be looking into a problem with cleaning and lubrication or some head crash to cause the problem.

Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.