Make changes on the...

Notifications
Clear all

Make changes on the slicer

RSS

Topic starter

Is it possible to make changes on the slicer or postprocessor?

I want that the head gots depressurised/backfeed filament, every time the nozzle changes or the head moves to the next position.

5 Answers

@greatisuam I don't think you actually want this behavior. Retracting the filament will mean it has to be pressurized again before the nozzle opens and this will lead to print quality defects. I suspect you are asking for this because the nozzle(s) is leaking. If this is the case, either your print head is failing or has not been calibrated correctly. 

When you do advances and retracts in addition to the nozzle opens and closes a little blob of material will be left at the point the printer starts printing again as the pressure in the head equalizes. Under normal operation, the head nozzle valve closes and the extruder stops pushing material, so the pressure doesn't change. When you retract and advance with the valve action you are creating either a vacuum or a pressure situation in the head which will affect the quality of the print since there will be a short time that the flow from the head can't be controlled. 

A properly calibrated and operating print head does not string as it moves or leave blobs when it starts printing again.

Vielen Dank für die Antwort… ich muss die Situation genauer beschreiben.
Leider habe ich sehr schlecht Erfahrungen mit den Dichtungen der Druckköpfe gemacht. Bei ungefär 5 Druckköpfen sind die Dichtungen bei den Nadeln kaput gegangen. Einmal bereits nach 10 Druckstunden. Da die Garantie des Druckers ausgelaufen ist und ich den Drucker noch nicht ensorgen will (war ja nicht billig) und nicht bereit bin jeden Monat einen neuen Druckkopf zu kaufen, habe ich die Nadeln entfernt und die oberen Löcher verschlossen.

Jetzt habe ich einen Druckkopf ohne Problem mit den Dichtungen.
Funktioniert grundsätzlich recht gut.

Logischerweise fliest jetzt beim Düsenwechsel oder beim Positionieren immer etwas Filament aus der Düse und es bilden sich Fäden. Wenn ich jetzt beim Slicer oder Postprozessor eingreiffen könnte, bestünde die Möglichkeit, die Druckqualität wieder zu steigern.

Vor dem neu positionieren Filament etwas zurückziehen und vor dem weiterdrucken wieder etwas vorwärts schieben.

Ich hoffe dass Sie nun nachvollziehen können, warum ich den Slicer/postprozessor modifizieren möcht.

Daher frage ich erneut, ob und wie das möglich wäre?

Da mein Drucker sowieso nicht mehr unter Garantie fällt, kann ich auch gewisse Sachen ausprobieren. Kann nur besser werden.

Vielen Dank

No, it is not possible for you to do what you are asking. You have modified the print head and it won't operate in the manner you are asking. It isn't possible to modify the slicer to adapt to a print head that isn't something that Robox has designed. Even if you were to retract while not printing because you have removed the valves from the print head the other nozzle won't seal and material will leak from that nozzle.

If you have blocked off the 0.8 mm nozzle and cannot use it any longer you can reprogram the head to a SV head since that head is designed to work with nozzles that do not have needle valves. However, you will have to ask CEL to give you a valid serial number to get the head recognized as a DV head and you may still run into issues since the DV head is designed without nozzle selection.

@Davio 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1639698012775059/about/

@bhudson

Ben, I am well aware of the limitations of a modded QuickFill head, not sure Davio is though :) Most people who have gone down this road, have blocked one of the nozzles up as you say, and used it as a single non-valve head. It works fine like this, the results have been adequate, and got a bit more life out of their Roboxes, although material choice is restricted vs a SingleX unless you change the nozzle.... which is another can of worms. :)

Topic starter

Robox SingleLite Head – CEL-UK

RBXDV-S3

I found this. This head supports a

• Retraction method to stop material flow

Somehow this method should be possible to use with the RBX01-DM.

If I go to my files I found this:

C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\Heads

SingleLite.roboxhead 

This file has a differenc to the Dual Material 0.4mm

look an -> valves

there is written -> Not fitted

{
"version" : 2,
"typeCode" : "RBXDV-S3",
"type" : "SINGLE_MATERIAL_HEAD",
"valves" : "NOT_FITTED",
"zReduction" : 4.0,
"nozzleHeaters" : [ {
"maximum_temperature_C" : 280,
"beta" : 4380.0,
"tcal" : 19193.0
}],
"nozzles" : [ {
"diameter" : 0.4,
"defaultXOffset" : 1.5,
"minXOffset" : 0,
"maxXOffset" : 3,
"defaultYOffset" : 4,
"minYOffset" : 3.5,
"maxYOffset" : 5.5,
"defaultZOffset" : -0.4,
"minZOffset" : -2,
"maxZOffset" : 1,
"defaultBOffset" : 0,
"minBOffset" : 0,
"maxBOffset" : 0,
"associatedExtruder" : "E"
}]
}

{
"version" : 2,
"typeCode" : "RBX01-DM",
"type" : "DUAL_MATERIAL_HEAD",
"valves" : "FITTED",
"zReduction" : 0.0,
"nozzleHeaters" : [ {
},
{
} ],
"nozzles" : [ {
"defaultXOffset" : 14,
"minXOffset" : 13,
"maxXOffset" : 16,
"minZOffset" : -3,
"maxZOffset" : 3,
"defaultBOffset" : 1.1,
"minBOffset" : 0.7,
"maxBOffset" : 2.0,
"associatedExtruder" : "D"
}, {
"defaultXOffset" : 0,
"minXOffset" : -1.0,
"maxXOffset" : 1.5,
"minZOffset" : -3,
"maxZOffset" : 3,
"defaultBOffset" : -1.1,
"minBOffset" : -2.0,
"maxBOffset" : -0.7,
"associatedExtruder" : "E"
} ]
}

I understand it like that....

dependent on which head I use, the slicer knows if it has to programm a retraction or not.

The question ist which file I need to modifiy and what do I have to modify?

@Davio

Anything is possible, but not without risk, and you have no warranty, so it is your choice. :)

You can use any slicer to generate gcode, as long as the machine settings simulate robox.gcode, & it doesn't use commands which confuse the firmware. As far as the Robox printer is concerned, you can enter customised gcode in this window.

However, you must have some start code and end code to do this as well. You can grab this from robox.gcode files and looking at it, or look at the macros in the CEL folder. If you head is a QuickFill type, it will be less problematic, the url material head has two thermistors and the firmware expects commands for both in your start code, unless only one filament is detected.

A few people have modified their heads like you, and you will find them in the Facebook group, so it might be worth asking the question there too, and you might find it answers your question in more detail.

It is straight forward once you know what you are doing, and a useful stop gap, whilst we wait for new heads from CEL.

Mike

1624276588-Screenshot-2021-06-21-at-124544.png

whats the name of the facebook group

@17bt Unfortunately since the needle valves are removed no amount of Gcode manual changes will prevent the unused nozzle from leaking while the other nozzle is being used. This is what the needle valves did. There are also several macros that will have to be modified. It is not possible for a QuickFill head with two open nozzles to work properly with only Gcode changes. One of the nozzles will have to be blocked.

Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.