How to go about cor...

Notifications
Clear all

How to go about correcting Layer Shifting

RSS

Topic starter

I am getting the same layer shift trying to print this part.. now twice. I enabled hopping to avoid the nozzle from impacting the print... but to no luck. I tried printing this again and it did the layer shift again..looks like in the exact same location. Any ideas? (Image attached)

1633107990-IMG_0634.jpg
Topic Tags
1 Answer

Layer shift like that is caused by one of the axes not working correctly, either because the nozzle is impacting the part during a move or the axis is hitting something. I would check that your axes both move smoothly and with the same amount of force. If you find one doesn't move as freely as the other, it may be that you have a mechanical issue causing the layer shift other than a nozzle impact. I would try a different print to see if you get the same behavior. If so, open a support ticket since you will need to get into the mechanical parts to determine what is happening. 

If it is only that print my guess is that there is a feature that is causing warping and you are getting nozzle strikes during printing and not just rapids. Nozzle hop will help prevent nozzle strikes while moving rapidly but will not solve nozzle strikes that happen during printing.

You should also check that your nozzle isn't leaking as this will allow a buildup of material on the head that can cause this issue.

@bhudson thanks for the reply! I tried a different part and experienced the same y-axis shift.. the print starts off fine but then out of no where it starts shifting.. i have a ticket open..

Then you have one of three things:
1. Debris in the bed or in the Y axis drive that are preventing the operation of the Y axis motor. I saw a printer once that had debris wrapped around the Y drive pulley to the point the belt was over-tensioned.
2. The Y-Belt is too loose and is skipping teeth when the nozzle drags.
3. A failing Y axis motor. I have seen this a couple of times.
Your support ticket should be able to resolve the issue.

Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.