Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Extruded filament n...

Notifications
Clear all

Extruded filament not sticking to the bed

RSS

Topic starter

Hi. Total newbie, just got a Robox for som small print projects i had in mind.

First of, very disapointet i cannot get the newest software without an authorisationcode because the software says the SN is invalid and tech-support is on leave untill end of september... but ok... i try to run with the delivered version until support can actually support their product.

Did some smallprint tests, everything seemed fine and today, out of the blue... the filament is not sticking to the bed. Wanted to do the 3Dbenchy model just for fun and kicks... but apparently the will of the Gods (your own personal choice) says different.

I can see the filament is fed, it extrudes fine (of what i can see) and when it tries to print, the filament just curles around and sticks to the nozzle instead or just extrudes, stiffens and gets pulled around making a mess all over at the same time.

Tried cleaning the bed, tried the gluestick fix, cleaned the bed again... still the same.

The setting of the printer is on "Fine" (so no tinkering in custom).
Temps are what the Robox has as standard.
The filament is the ABS Chroma Green.

Mind you... everything was unboxed yesterday... so it is brand new, tho purchased a ways back and i therefor have no returnoption left (my own fault, i know).

Any tips or suggestions?

@jannickdk ABS is hard to print with because it doesn't like to stick to any print surface. Is your print surface shiny or not shiny? If it is shiny, the ABS will not stick. Your print bed may have two surfaces, one shiny and one not. If you are using the shiny side, flip the print surface plate for the best results, though even for ABS you may have issues.

Glue stick only works with PLA; it won't work with ABS. I don't recommend ABS for any user that isn't highly experienced with 3D printing as it is very difficult to get good prints with. Get started with PLA or PETG. 

Did you do the nozzle calibration that is required before you operate the Robox? 

Hi BHudson. Thanks for the reply.

It being on a shiny surface... might be it. However, both sides are smoth. So guess i'll have to look into sanding one side then - which apparently you have suggested to another user. Thanks for that. Will try printing with the PLA filament a bit then.

And regarding the calibration... no such thing was asked at installation or in the software i'm stuck with (till support is back from annual leave in a month), i dont have that option in the software.

@jannickdk What version of the software do you have? If you have a smooth on both sides sheet your printer is very old. Those beds were replaced about four years ago.
Make sure you have the most recent version of the software and sand the bed. I use 320 grit and a random orbit sander, but you can do it by hand also.
PLA should stick to the shiny surface but you may get warping.
Calibrate is right at the bottom of the Automaker window, fifth button from the left. Use PLA to calibrate. You only need to do it once.

Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.