Notifications
Clear all

techABS alternative that is not TitanX  

RSS
James Hollingdale
(@james-hollingdale)
New Member Customer

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend me an alternative to techABS that is like the techABS that used to be available?  (and not TitanX).

On my last 90m of natural techABS & it prints like a dream!  So I bought some TitanX black a couple of week ago, and have now done a few prints with it, i'm just not digging it.  It's not as nice or strong or bendy. Lay adhesion seems less too. Doesn't play that nice with acetone, infact when brushing with acetone I get loads of gritty bits coming off from the surface of the prints and the brush. Also now reading about TitanX clogging nozzles puts me off somewhat too -:(

[CEL got any techABS laying around you want to sell me?]

thanks Jay

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by James Hollingdale
Posted : 13th June 2020 1:26 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

@james-hollingdale TitanX is not compatible with acetone. This is pretty clear in the instructions from FormFutura. 

I have used a huge amount of TitanX and haven't seen any issues with it, but I print it at 245 instead of the 235 that most ABS profiles are set with the Robox. You may find this gives better layer adhesion. 

I haven't had a single nozzle clogged with any of the materials I use and I have printed thousands of hours. Clogged nozzles are due to poor maintenance. I purge TitanX every 10-20 hours just as with every ABS to keep the material in the unused nozzle from baking. This is required with all materials, but PLA and ABS need purging more often, every 10-20 hours in most cases. 

I don't have any suggestions for the TechABS. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13th June 2020 7:55 pm
James Hollingdale
(@james-hollingdale)
New Member Customer

@bhudson

That's interesting about the Acetone.  I wonder what the balance is of the abs / additives to make them say that.  The Acetone does definitely melt the surface when i tried, the gritty bits come as you rub or if you start stroking the surface with the brush bristles.  I'll ty with some other solvents i've got handy like MEK & Toluene.   It's a little annoying as acetone is dirt cheap & well handy to fuse bond abs parts together.

About the clogging though that's good news.  

Interestingly on my robox dual, latest automaker, the titanx black profile prints the first layer at 250, then drops back to 240 for the rest of the print.You think it's worth me tweaking it to 245 for the major part of the print?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by James Hollingdale
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13th June 2020 11:03 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

@james-hollingdale You can certainly try adjusting the temperature. I used TitanX about a year before anyone else with the Robox so I always ran it a little hot. I do find that I prefer my own profiles more than the Robox profiles. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16th June 2020 4:48 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.