Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Slightly flexible m...

Notifications
Clear all

Slightly flexible material or material that can best withstand tension

Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

I have printed an adapter that basically is a cylinder of about 4 cm diameter but at one end it is slitted because it must grip over a lip of 1 mm. This requires the cylinder to flex a little bit and this is very demanding for the material as is must flex a little bit to slide over the lip.

I will probably slit it into at least 4 peaces and maybe add an external ring that can be slided over the area to secure the grip but the material must still be able to flex.

I have tried with PLA before but it cracks very easily. Suggestions for best choise?

Topic starter Posted : 7th April 2021 9:55 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt Nylon would be my first choice for something like this. Polycarbonate or ABS would be second, depending on the other needs of the part. nGen Flex is a good alternative if you need overall flexibility. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 7th April 2021 3:36 pm
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member

@bengt If you're going to slit it use a higher infill density, and I'd use concentric infill. This was a car distributor clamp I made for a test rig, the indent near the top was to hold a Jubilee clip, and I only used one slot, with a larger hole to reduce stress as it gripped the body. the first few I made were using a carbon fill, had more slots, and default 20-30% fill density, and they didn't last - they just snapped, but this version is still going strong. PET-G can flex a little too, depending on the thickness, so although Nylon is very tough, it needs to be well stored to get the best results.

1617920695-concentric-infill.png

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Mike
ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th April 2021 11:22 pm
Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

Concentric infill, smart! I will try that. Unfortunately I don't have the recommended materials. These are what I have: Titan-X, nGen CO-PET, PolyMide CoPA, Carbon Fill, ASA-X, HDglass PETG, PolyWood, PolyFlex.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 9th April 2021 6:58 am
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member

@bengt I'd try the HDglass PETG, as it has good layer adhesion so unlikely to shear when "stretched" over that 1mm lip, but obviously the smaller the diameter the greater the stresses pro rata.

Good luck

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th April 2021 7:19 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Trusted Member

Thanks again. There are so many parameters to be aware of about the materials. Layer adhesion is one important factor if the part is stressed. I will make a note about in my material list.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 9th April 2021 7:23 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt PolyMide CoPA is nylon. https://us.polymaker.com/product/polymide-copa/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th April 2021 12:42 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.