Help me choose mate...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Help me choose material  

RSS
niclas
(@niclas)

Hello,

I have a Robox Dual. What material should I use to print something that would have to withstand a lot of vibrations and shaking, but still be food safe?

I find it hard to compare the different Robox filaments. Is there a table comparing the different filaments and listing their relative strength/brittleness/etc?

Posted : 23rd September 2020 10:21 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@niclas You haven't provided nearly enough information to allow anyone to make a determination of what you need. Vibration and shaking forces depend on the mass of the object and its geometry and on what it is supporting. It will also depend on the frequency of the vibrations.

Food safe limits it to clear PETG or nylon, so clear ColorFabb XT and nGen, though anything 3D printed really isn't food save because of the ridges left in the part after printing. If you plan to post-process to smooth the surface, you should be fine with one of the CO-PETs or PETG or nylon since these are generally recognized as food safe. Most nylon 6 formulas are food safe as long as they aren't dyed and will do well for vibration, but will see creep over time where they will deform under sustained loads. If you can find a food safe TPU or TPE that will be highly resistant to vibration, but I don't know of one off the top of my head.

Most materials can sustain vibration, depending on how the part is built and what it is supporting. Or, if overloaded, they will fail quickly. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24th September 2020 4:55 am
niclas
(@niclas)

@bhudson Thank you 😊 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27th September 2020 12:22 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.