Best choice for "de...

Notifications
Clear all

Best choice for "default" material

Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

Heard the question before? Of course but it is a question that should have an answer better than "it depends".

A "default" material as I define it, and selected for use in the RoboxDual or RoboxPro, should fulfil these basic requirements:

- Be the typical choice if printing standard hardware like boxes, tool holder or other non-demanding stuff. Not thin towers or complicated structures but things that have reasonable easy properties of wall thickness and so on.

- Should be compatible with an easy to use support material.

- Gives the best reliable prints with minimum risk for printer problems.

All other typical requirements like strength, surface finish or what so ever comes as I see it after this short list. I'm asking for the best material choice, or rather combination of material and support material, that gives you reliable printing again and again and again.

As soon as more specific demands/requirements comes in place you will have to think in other ways.

Topic starter Posted : 24th February 2021 6:32 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt The ColorFabb CO-PET materials are my default materials for 3D printing in general. I only deviate from these when I need properties they don't have. With a properly calibrated machine PolySupport works great with the CO-PETs. My general favorite material right now is the XT-CF20. 

I have used PET-x materials from a variety of different sources and the ColorFabb materials are consistently the best quality and reliability. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25th February 2021 3:31 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

They are not supplied on SmartReels but I will use the DryBox so that doesn't matter for me. But are there properties that I can download and save on the EEPROM in the SmalrtReel on my printer?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25th February 2021 7:39 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@bengt You don't need the profiles; they are in the AutoMaker software. Just select the material from the list. If you want to write it to a SmartReel you can do that, otherwise, just don't have the SmartReel installed and select the material from the drop down menu. Last I looked, ColorFabb XT and nGen were both there. I don't know about the XT-CF20 since that requires the Olsson ruby nozzle on the Robox. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26th February 2021 1:05 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

I was recomended by the support team to use Titan X for general purpose printing of hardware. So far it looks promising.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 7th April 2021 9:49 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@bengt TitanX is my go-to ABS material. You may also like ApolloX ASA if you need parts for outdoor applications. 

However, I use PETG because it has better layer adhesion. While the FormFutura ABS/ASA materials are very good, they do not have as good layer adhesion as PETG. I also don't like the smell of ABS and ASA. If surface finish is a concern, PETG is harder so it won't be damaged as easily. ABS is soft so you can scratch it with a fingernail.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 7th April 2021 3:39 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.