Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Notifications
Clear all

NinjaFlex not feeding

PeteD
(@pjdorrington)

Hi,

I've followed all the advice in this thread to try and print with some Ninjaflex.

I'm making the Open R/C car, and want to print the tyres out.

I've tried using a bowden tube to align the filament, which helped get it in position, but the length of the tube and flexibility of the ninjflex still meant it wouldn't go in.

I then removed the side panel and fed it by hand, and managed to get it in to the extruder about 10 cm, but it wouldn't grip it.

I tried the code to alter the slippage, M909 I think it was, as outlined in this thread. This made no difference.

I also tried the advance button to pull the filament through, but still no luck.

I just can't get it far enough in, and up to the head. Is there a trick I'm missing, or do I need a different flex filament? Please help, this is driving me nuts!

PS. If I can get it to the extruder, I have a Quick fill currently installed. I do however wonder if it might clog up in the quickfill. I also have the dual kit, which I plan to fit.

Any thoughts on whether the flexible filament might work better with the simpler dual nozzles?

Topic starter Posted : 13th April 2017 2:14 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support

@pjdorrington Is your extruder black or gray? The black ones won't feed NinjaFlex due to several issues. You will need a gray extruder to run NinjaFlex. I have not had a lot of luck with this material due to its softness. It is really really hard to print without a direct drive print head/extruder combo.

The dual material head uses the same nozzle design as the QuickFill head. The operation should be the same. The only advantage with the DM head is that the nozzle is larger and there may be less resistance to get the material to print.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13th April 2017 4:23 pm
PeteD
(@pjdorrington)

Hi @BHudson, thanks for the reply.

I have the black extruder, so that probably explains it partly.

I have the conversion kit for the dual extrusion, which has a grey extruder in it. I plan to do the conversion soon, so perhaps I should try the ninjaflex again once I've done this, and run the flex through the nozzle linked to the grey extruder....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13th April 2017 4:47 pm
PeteD
(@pjdorrington)

I've now converted my printer over to the dual printer, with the grey extruder on filament 1.

If I try to run the Ninjaflex through this one, can it clog it up if it doesn't work or has problems? (I don't want to damage the nice new dual head a few goes in....).

Cheers,

Pete

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13th April 2017 11:14 pm
Arbutus
(@arbutus)

@PeteD  I have also tried NinjaFlex with the single (Black) head and the Grey dual head. Neither work and both resulted in a major teardown to remove the filaments.

I also tried BendLay, a stiffer flex material with similar results. The problem lies with the extruder grip pressure vs. the softness of the material. There is a fundamental design problem when attempting to push soft material into the extruder since this type of material kinks too easily. It is like pushing a piece of string.

A non-Bowden printer is required.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14th April 2017 3:05 am
PeteD
(@pjdorrington)

thanks @artutus, I've decided to leave it be with the ninjaflex!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14th April 2017 12:02 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support

@arbutus @arbutus It is possible to print NinjaFlex in the Robox. It is also possible to print BendLay, FelxFill, and other flexible materials. You must have a V2 gray extruder and you must be patient and learn what you need to do. A V1 quickfill head also seems to help as the V2 doesn't like the NinjaFlex much for some reason. The DM uses the same design as the V2 QuickFill, so it will be harder to use.

I have used all of these materials in the Robox but they are extremely difficult to print due to the Bowden design. I have best luck with firm materials like FlexFill.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14th April 2017 4:41 pm
 Anonymous

@pjdorrington I have been printing successfully with ninjaflex and without much issues. It is not straight forward to feed it in extruder, but rest of it was just fine. Both V2 head and dual material heads printed quite well with it. I printed many tyres for our rovers and practically there wasn't a failure print.

I didn't need to strip anything apart to feed it in - just piece of bowden tube pushed all way in to the extruder and ninjafex compressed in. By 'compressed' I mean you need to have a length of it ready to push with one hand in while keeping bowder tube firmly in. The moment extruder detects material in it will start pulling but you still need to push some more in.

Main problem is that ninjaflex easily gets much thinner by being stretched and that makes filament detection next to extruder being disengaged. Pushing more filament in while extruder is pulling it will prevent it. Also, even if/when that happens you can just use manual commands to pull some more filament in.

Also, because of stretchiness of ninjaflex, I didn't leave it on the reel but pulled it off it for a metre or two and let it 'hang' of shelf printer is on. That way filament is free to be pulled in the printer, rather that having wheel's weight added to resistance. Even when I was printing with it - I was ensuring that there is plenty of filament off the reel hanging off the shelf so extruder doesn't need to stretch it off reel.

Beside that when it is loaded, I would push some more in (manually pressing feed buttons on reel in AM) to make it even more compressed after the extruder. Even with it I would normally print with filament loaded option switched off in AM (under advanced options).

Last thing is ejecting it - normal AM procedure just disengage it from the head, stretches it enough for Robox to find out that there is no filament in and stops. Then, again, using arrows on the reel in AM you need to feed it out of Robox manually.

Even with such 'fiddly' handling it turned out not to be a big deal and worked quite a treat. Especially with combined with PLA for dual material prints (little hammer with spongy end for our rover - I'll upload pictures later).

My main problem with it is that I didn't leave enough space on the left of the Robox on my shelf so having both hands over there (at that height - it is at shoulder height) is not always comfortable - using left hand to push bowden tube in and right squeezing next to it, shelve and robox to push filament in...

Sorry for the longish reply... O: )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20th April 2017 12:16 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.