Notifications
Clear all

Flexible materials testing

Page 1 / 2
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

Get yourself a version 2 Extruder RBX01-X2.

This new extruder is included in the DM kit and will soon be available to buy as an add on module.

There are also a limited number of upgrade kits available in the UK shop on this link. These kits are just the plastic parts of the extruder so you will have to take your old one apart and swap all the plastic housings for these new bits. Purchase these and fit them at your own risk, ask for help, ALWAYS power off before fitting or removing parts.

We know the extruder can push the filament through the bowden tube to the nozzle but there are some limitations. We can't test every variation so we are putting this out to the users to help find what needs improvement.

Hardware?

Profiles?

We are open to any suggestions here.

The parts kits come with a NinjaFlex sample (amount TBC) and we hope you will help us develop the profiles and settings to be able to offer flexible materials on SmartReels. We have had a lot of success but the system needs a polish to be at a stage where we can offer the function to new users.

As a reward for good feedback we will give out more samples to allow further testing.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

Topic starter Posted : 18th January 2016 5:19 pm
Thiago
(@medeiros)
Trusted Member

Hi Pete,

Just find out this thread!

I am quite interested in buying this kit so I would have both extruders (DM kit) capable to use flexible materials.

I have access to all the PoroLay line of materials and can test after I have the upgrade installed.

The only thing is holding me to buy is the part of the fit at your own risk.... this means I will loose my warranty?

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th January 2016 5:46 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dodgydave80)
Eminent Member

Hi Pete,

I have purchased the upgrade parts for my current extruder and already have a roll of NinjaFlex and SemiFlex. Is there a solution for feeding flexible material from the reel holders to the extruder? I've found that the flexible material doesn't feed through easily.

Do you have any profiles for these materials to use as a starting point for testing?

Will my warranty be affected by fitting the upgraded parts myself?

Regards

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : 1st February 2016 1:21 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@medeiros

@dodgydave80

You do need to be careful, the worst you can do is blow the mainboard while removing the extruder cable but if you unplug the power and USB cables before you open the side of Robox you should be fine. We will support you even if you make mistakes but if you do something stupid or irresponsible you might be asked to pay for parts.

Taking the extruder apart is fairly easy, just remove all the screws and don't force anything, it should come apart easily.

To feed the flex material into the filament feed tubes near the reel we have been using some 100mm lengths of bowden tube. We simply push these into the feed hole and they jam in place, then the flexible filament feeds in more easily.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 3rd February 2016 5:00 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dodgydave80)
Eminent Member

@pete

Will there be any Bowden tube included in the kit by any chance?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 3rd February 2016 6:40 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

Yes there should be. We have sent a few out and may have missed them out.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 4th February 2016 9:12 am
 Anonymous

@pete

Got my kit yesterday :)

No Ninjaflex sample though or bowden tube as mentioned above but not sure why that would be needed.

I'll be testing Layfomm today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2016 8:43 am
Dave
 Dave
(@dodgydave80)
Eminent Member

@zoomzoomluke

I've tried to feed the ninjaflex without the Bowden tube and couldn't get it to feed. I fed first time when using a small piece of Bowden tube.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2016 3:43 pm
Terry Taylor
(@n6mon)
Estimable Member

Not sure my first reply got through. For what it is worth, I ordered an RBX01-X2 upgrade on 31 January. It arrived today. NO NinjaFlex and NO Bowden tube.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th February 2016 11:26 pm
Terry Taylor
(@n6mon)
Estimable Member

@pete, Are there any installation instructions for the RBX01-X2 kit? I THOUGHT I had seen a link, but can't find it now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th February 2016 2:15 am
 Anonymous

@pete

I have received mine, but no sample or Bowden tube, I will try it in the weekend, I have some filaflex.

Pete, can you let me know if I was in the first bacth of the dual material head?

Best regards

Joao Quaresma.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th February 2016 12:48 pm
Terry Taylor
(@n6mon)
Estimable Member

I installed the flexible materials upgrade to my extruder. Using a short piece of Bowden tube and a sample of NinjaFlex that I got from Ben Hudson, I was able to get the filament to load, but it would not push out through the head. The NinjaFlex DID get to the extruder, as when I retracted it, there was a small piece of the previous ABS stuck to the end. Tried it again after that and still no joy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 1st March 2016 7:05 pm
Rob
 Rob
(@robhewison)

I have the DM upgrade and have tried Ninjaflex semi flex (Green) on a small print last night. Purged to remove the ABS and it has printed as easily as ABS on draft with excellent definition, really clean...except it stuck too well to the bed, and pulled a little resin from the PEI bed when I eventually got it off!! I am sure I can sort the bed out with a little sanding, but have ordered a new one as a spare just in case. I am going to run the bed a little cooler to see if I can reduce the adhesion, I was at 95°C and will reduce to the minimum of 80°C recommended by Ninjafex in their spec sheet. I printed first layer at 235°C and reduced to 230°C during the print, will reduce the initial temp too. All other settings as ABS (I have attached the profile I ran for ref). Any other tips on reducing the bed adhesion, without taping would be preferable?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19th September 2016 8:38 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@robhewison I run TPU at 50C bed temp and allow the bed to fully cool before removing the parts. If you continue to run into problems, put the bed and part in the freezer. This will do two things - firm up the part to allow easier removal and should cause the part to shrink. Since the bed stays the same size even at temperature extremes, this should cause your part to pop off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19th September 2016 5:38 pm
Rob
 Rob
(@robhewison)

Hi Brian Ben, thanks for the comment.

I reduced the bed temp and flipped the bed plate to the shiny side and all is good, just getting a few filament slip errors now on larger parts, I may need to look at the M909 settings as the print carries on perfectly once I set it going again from the pause button, any advice on adjustments would be appreciated from anyone on here, the finished parts are excellent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd September 2016 1:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.