Recover from power ...

Notifications
Clear all

Recover from power failure

Kent Hartland
(@heartlander)
Estimable Member

So a little squall passed through last night and the power went down for a moment. This morning I managed to pull out the half-finished parts just fine and restart with no complications, but it could have been a problem, a hot head suddenly losing heat.

How about some code that says if on Power Up, the head is above ambient temperature (or above 30C?), we will assume that there has been a power glitch and so rewarm the head to a minimum level (210?) so the head doesn't get screwed up until we can sort it out and restart?

It could save someone a big hassle and loss of production.

Topic starter Posted : 10th April 2016 8:02 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@heartlander I am not sure what you are going to prevent with this. If the printer is turned back on with the temperature above 50C (I think) the head fan turns on to cool the head properly. If the head has cooled to below that temperature, the damage is done and heating it up again without purging material will only make things worse.

I run my printers on battery backups - UPS units for computers. That way if the power goes out, I have time to properly kill the print and let the printer cool. For a small blackout, the printer will continue running on the UPS. I bought higher power UPS units so I have up to three hours of run time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th April 2016 8:29 pm
Kent Hartland
(@heartlander)
Estimable Member

Morning, Ben. Help me understand this. "If the head has cooled to below that temperature, the damage is done and heating it up again without purging material will only make things worse." But you have to heat the head before you can purge. No matter what, you have to get the head warm again.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11th April 2016 4:28 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@heartlander Yes, you do have to get the head warm again, but you need to purge immediately after this type of issue. So the better suggestion would be to trigger a purge after a power failure. Which makes sense if it is a power failure. However, there are times during troubleshooting that the head gets powered off while hot. You don't want to trigger a purge after that. So the best solution here is to know that when you have a failure where the head loses power in the middle of a print and you can't allow it to cool properly, you should run a purge before doing anything else.

Heating the head without running a purge will just make the problem worse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th April 2016 7:12 pm
Kent Hartland
(@heartlander)
Estimable Member

It would not be wise to automatically Purge after a power failure. In my example, the print bed have several parts on it. Can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11th April 2016 11:51 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@heartlander Let me clarify my statement. You need to clear the bed and then purge. I thought it would be obvious that you would want to clear the bed; there is no way to recover a print from a hard shut down like that without some serious manual file manipulation and there is a low chance of recovery because the bed will have cooled and the part will probably have detached if the time without power is very long. Plus, the printer will need to home before starting again and that will probably be difficult with parts on the bed. That points toward not running anything automatically. So maybe the software just says "You should purge now" and leaves the rest up to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12th April 2016 5:14 am
Kent Hartland
(@heartlander)
Estimable Member

Well, most power problems are surges and blips. An actual outage is pretty uncommon anymore, at least in my area. Many power dips occur in the night when there's no one awake to respond to a cooling print head.

When the power blips and comes right back, like during a lightning storm, rather than just crash and let the head cool down to suffer whatever possibility of damage, keep it warm. And maybe initiate an automatic orderly shutdown.

To the printer it would seem like it wakes up (after the blip), notices that the head is hot and there is no print job running (since it just crashed). So, send power to the head before it cools off. Then it could initiate a Cancel or just keep it warm (look at the Smart Reel for the desired operating temp) until the operator could take whatever other action is appropriate when they respond (or wake up).

It is a Micro Mfg platform, that's what sold me and that's how I plan to use it 24/7. So it really would be helpful if it could take a power dip without suffering catastrophic damage. Software solutions, when possible, are cleaner than throwing hardware at a problem (a UPS in this case, although I do plan to add one as soon as cash flow starts going the right direction).

It's a Feature Request. For future reference. On the new Robox Ass Whipper DeLuxe you guys are doubtless working on. Whip on. Whip on, indeed.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12th April 2016 6:03 am
Gregg Wallace
(@gregg-wallace)
Active Member Customer

it there any way for the printer to react to the UPS power fail signal? I.e. ensure head is hot, mover to safe position, cool head, then be able to continue the print once power is restored? I just had 3 printers running with a 10.5 hr print, 30 mins left and the power goes out :( . Would be a nice feature to safely recover. Another option with out a UPS would be to have a one button recover. I've powered on the printers and I'm now completing the purge process but the head was stuck to the job. It would be nice to have a recover button which could heat the head then home before cooling the head correctly. (cherry on the cake would be to be able to continue printing the same job (all be it with perhaps a blip where the head was when the power was lost).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4th October 2021 9:55 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@gregg-wallace This is called power panic and is not incorporated into the Robox power supply or controller. I highly recommend a battery backup for this purpose. An APC 600VA or higher unit will usually give you enough time to pause the print job, which will cut down the power draw, and stay paused for a while. Once the power comes back on you can resume.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th October 2021 3:19 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.