Add other Cura feat...

Notifications
Clear all

Add other Cura feature to AutoMaker

Page 1 / 3
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

I have  a Robox dual and I love it. Now another group here at work have bought an Ultimaker S5 so I am going to check it up. Yet another group have asked me for help to get them a printer and the first i think of is Robox Pro.

But it look slike Ultimaker is becoming  some industri "best of" standard. It is of course much more expensive than Robox but not much more expensive than Robox Pro. What I have read but not tested myself yet is that Ultimaker have a better print quality although probably not as good at solving problems that Robox solved with auto calibration and needle valves.

I like Robox but if Ultimaker has some advantages I must ask what the Cel team do to reduce that gap? How can print quality be improved is one. I just checked Ultimakers Cure engine (I don'tunderstand the differences of Ultimaker Cure and Cure used by Robox, maybe someone can explain?) and there are things there. For example they have a lot of plug-ins that can help to customize things. I think that is something that Rebox should support. Here is a list of some of the best: <a href=" removed link "> removed link

I have not found any true comparrions between Ultimaker S5 and Robox Pro so any experiences are welcome. However, that is maybe more a place for the "other printers" forum. So here I mainly ask for improvements that can be made to Robox and the slicer to help compete with Ultimaker.

Topic starter Posted : 23rd January 2020 7:34 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt I haven't seen any print quality issues with the Robox Pro that are solved by the Ultimaker. The technology is all about the same, and the Robox still continues to have better technology with the active filament monitoring and the print head valves in the nozzles. 

Both printers use Cura slicer, and the Pro version of AutoMaker allows Cura4, which gives the Robox pretty much every option that the Ultimaker has per my understanding. The software team continues to work on AutoMaker and will be introducing new versions as they are completed.

If you have specific examples, please share them so they can be addressed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th January 2020 2:33 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

The plug-in options to the slicer can be an option that increase custom value. Is it possible to use Cura plug-ins with Robox?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30th January 2020 6:34 am
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

@bengt any option available in Cura 3 or 4 can be made active in AutoMaker by editing the text files that tell AutoMaker what to display. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4th February 2020 2:28 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

Then why are the settings hidden?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 12:23 pm
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

@nagyandrass because there are about a million settings. exposing them all is not necessary and make the interface unreasonable complicated. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 1:22 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

Thanks,
Do you know which file needs to be modified to access certain features?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 1:26 pm
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

If you've installed the files into the default directory its these 2 files.

C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\PrintProfiles\slicermapping.dat

The one above maps the name of the variable from our interface to the variable name used by Cura.

C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\PrintProfiles\Cura\print_profile_settings.json

C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\PrintProfiles\Cura4\print_profile_settings.json

The one above depends on weather your using Cura 3 or 4. These files control where the variable will appear, its name in the transaction file, type of variable,  default value, tooltip in translation file, type of unit.

"id":"infillLayerThickness",
"settingName":"extrusion.infillLayerThickness",
"value":"1",
"valueType":"float",
"tooltip":"profileLibraryHelp.infillLayerThickness",
"unit":"misc.layers",
"perExtruder":false

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 1:53 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

Oooo, it's not easy! :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 2:22 pm
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

No sorry, It will take some playing with to add the variables you want.

Out of interest which features of Cura have we not show that you want to play with ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th February 2020 3:24 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

For example: Is there any way to print external perimeters with another nozzle? Inner perimeters with black, on the outside skin with white? (Dualhead)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2020 3:15 pm
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

Sure, this is a feature in Cura 4 that can be exposed, it called "wall_0_extruder_nr"

Cura 4 in integrated into AutoMakerPRO, make a backup of the two files you will modify, ensure AutoMaker is closed.

If you add this to the; "print_profile_settings.json"

"C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\PrintProfiles\Cura4\print_profile_settings.json"

{
"id":"outerPerimeterNozzle",
"settingName":"Outer Perimeter",
"value":"2",
"valueType":"nozzle",
"tooltip":"profileLibraryHelp.outerperimeterExtrusionWidth",
"perExtruder":false,
"nonOverrideAllowed":true,
"children":
[
{
"id":"outerPerimeterExtrusionWidth_mm",
"settingName":"misc.width",
"value":"0.4",
"valueType":"extrusion",
"tooltip":"profileLibraryHelp.outerperimeterExtrusionWidth",
"unit":"misc.mm",
"perExtruder":false
}
]
},

and add this to the mapping file; "slicermapping.dat"

"C:\Program Files\CEL\Common\PrintProfiles\slicermapping.dat"

"wall_0_extruder_nr":"outerPerimeterNozzle",

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2020 4:14 pm
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

Thanks, managed to set it up!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th February 2020 9:09 pm
Chris Elsworthy
(@chris)
Member Admin

Great work... I know its not simple.. I'm not a programer.

please share your results with me when you get some, I'd love to see some pictures.

I think this functions would be particularly good with the QuickFill head, printing the perimeters with the 0.3mm Nozzle and the inside every N laters with the 0.8mm nozzle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 7th February 2020 9:44 am
82_András
(@nagyandrass)
Eminent Member Customer

@chris

I'll try the Quickfill head! Probably faster because two perimeters thick enough (QuickFill head -> 1x 0.3 + 1x0.8 Approx. Dual head -> 1x0.4 + 2x0.4)

The question is how long time does it take to change the valve !?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 7th February 2020 10:00 am
Page 1 / 3
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.