Can a printer pause...

Notifications
Clear all

Can a printer pause destroy the head?  

RSS
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

Now and then we have had situations when the printer for some unknown reason pause in the middle of a print. I have searched for reasons and there are some. For example friction in the feeder, nozzle problem, rats nest in the wheel.

But I do not intend to go into finding the reason for the problem, especially since the pause can also be by design if Robox detects an end of filament and request a replacement wheel.

Instead I want to look into what can happen if the printer stand in pause for a long time such might happen if I print a 10+ hours print. Obviously it is not possible to have a constant watch of the printer, it must be able to take a reasonable care of it self. Last week this happened at an overnight print resulting in that the printer stood for many hours with constant heated printer head. We have tried a purge and even to follow the instructions from a previous tech support issue but it is impossible to feed out the filament. It is stuck and the printer head probably destroyed.

So why, WHY does the printer pause in and endless time with full heat? If it detects any situation there a pause is needed, why just not cool down after a few minutes? Actually, why at all stay heated, it shouldn't be any problem to reheat at the time of resume.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Bengt
Posted : 3rd August 2020 10:06 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@bengt The printer should not pause with the head heated for a long time. After a set amount of time, usually a couple of minutes, the printer will cool the head down and wait for input from you to resolve the issue. The bed will remain heated until the print is completed or cancelled. I have seen this many times.

If it is not doing this, it means that the printer has encountered a problem that is halting the automatic pause function. AutoMaker will show you what the detected issue is. Even if AutoMaker has been disconnected from the printer, once you reconnect the printer it will update with the error messages. If you do not see any error messages, please open a support ticket to get further assistance. 

Your print head may be damaged by having the filament cooked in it. I have sometimes been able to salvage heads that have been overheated, but it takes a lot of work and often they don't last very long afterward. If a manual purge does not clear it, you will likely have to replace the print head. Your support representative will be able to assist you with more details based on the information you provide.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4th August 2020 2:00 am
James Hollingdale
(@james-hollingdale)
New Member Customer
Posted by: @bhudson

@bengt The printer should not pause with the head heated for a long time. After a set amount of time, usually a couple of minutes, the printer will cool the head down and wait for input from you to resolve the issue. The bed will remain heated until the print is completed or cancelled. I have seen this many times.

If it is not doing this, it means that the printer has encountered a problem that is halting the automatic pause function. AutoMaker will show you what the detected issue is. Even if AutoMaker has been disconnected from the printer, once you reconnect the printer it will update with the error messages. If you do not see any error messages, please open a support ticket to get further assistance. 

Your print head may be damaged by having the filament cooked in it. I have sometimes been able to salvage heads that have been overheated, but it takes a lot of work and often they don't last very long afterward. If a manual purge does not clear it, you will likely have to replace the print head. Your support representative will be able to assist you with more details based on the information you provide.

Hi Ben. Unfortunately the flaws in Automaker do not prevent this from happening & hence the head toasts itself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th August 2020 7:16 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@james-hollingdale I have been using AutoMaker for about six years now, on a total of 8 different Robox machines, and have never had this happen. Well over ten thousand accumulated print hours. The last time I counted, I have run approximately 40 pounds of filament through my printers and have never lost a head due to a failed pause. 

This is a problem with your specific machine and/or your specific setup. Please open a support ticket and get assistance. This is not a problem with AutoMaker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th August 2020 4:17 am
Bengt
(@bengt)
Eminent Member

It was not me personally that had this problem and after checking with the person he admit that he wasn't sure that the head was still heated, he just supposed so because he felt the heat from the bed.

The head still got more or less destroyed (it has been sent in for service) which is strange but I say that for 99% the head wasn't heated at the pause situation.

I am very happy to hear that this should not be a problem, especially since I am expecting my own RoboxPro soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th August 2020 8:29 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@bengt The bed will remain heated so the part does not detach. It is very rare for any type of failure to destroy a print head, except for the known seal failure issue, usually when the head has passed its design life. Other head failures are 99% of the time user errors that cause the damage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14th August 2020 5:14 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.