Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Version 2 Main Boar...

Notifications
Clear all

Version 2 Main Board

Grimtech
(@grimtech)
Trusted Member

Just wanted to share that I have my V2 board installed and up and running.

And Wow, the upgrade is incredible.

The instant thing you notice is the lack of noise, and vibration - its truly remarkable.

The second thing you notice is the speed that it begins printing from a cold start, it is off and printing so quickly now.

Other things I have noticed too, like increased fan control taking place.

I am hoping the Open Source Software and firmware can be taken advantage of by those much cleverer than I - fingers crossed!

Once installed, I cleaned the bed and ran all three calibration procedures again, as the head carriage, belt and rails all were taken apart.

I have never had such good results, I use ABS a lot and TitanX is really great.  The increase in quality is noticeable.

The install job is involved and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have prior experience of the sort of thing outlined in the guide ( https://robox.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/11000017476), in which case you should be fine.

On top of the guide, I found in addition some ferrite cores had to be moved on their cable to run cleanly to their sockets.

I also had to very carefully unpick some of the plug/sockets that were factory glued or sealed - no biggy but took patience and time.  Same glue encountered in the daughter bard for the extruder, and removing the pin/axle for the "wheel" in the head required the making of a small press our of bits I had in the workshop.

Absolutely recommend the upgrade - my man cave in the house is near Little Ones bedroom, and I can print all night long with zero noise issues.

Topic starter Posted : 9th April 2021 7:23 pm
Mike reacted
Topic Tags
Enginwiz
(@enginwiz)
Estimable Member

Thank you for posting your experience with the Version 2 Main Board.

How long did it take to do the installation?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th April 2021 8:18 am
Grimtech reacted
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support

@enginwiz A mainboard installation takes me about 45 minutes. I would guess someone doing it for the first time would take 2-3 hours if they are being careful to do each step and have to figure things out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th April 2021 8:53 pm
Grimtech reacted
Grimtech
(@grimtech)
Trusted Member

@enginwiz

Was probably around 3 hours all together, fixing the things that weren't as straight forward as the rest of the job, as I went. 

Like the glued/sealed motor plugs and sockets, and the tons of glue in the extruder plug and socket that needed digging out.

Moving each of the ferrite cores to the best position to not interfere with the new blue heatsinks, or the other ferrite cores took a while to get just right.

Then doing the three calibration processes, as it had been all apart took the time it take to complete too.

I will repeat my feelings that this is a wonderful upgrade, start up speed, print noise levels and overall quality and finish of print are all improved - couldn't be happier with my purchase.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14th April 2021 11:31 am
Mike reacted
Grimtech
(@grimtech)
Trusted Member

I also wanted to add, that the local, UK based support from CEL was a large part I went with CEL 6-7 years ago, and I am still constantly impressed with the service I recieve.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14th April 2021 12:51 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support

@grimtech The glue on the plugs is due to the ferrites pulling them out of the sockets when the Robox gets shipped with the left side down, and because users kept pulling the sockets off the mainboard because they didn't get the latch on the plug disengaged. Then they would install it backwards half the time and blow the mainboard. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15th April 2021 3:57 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.