Heat bed not workin...

Notifications
Clear all

Heat bed not working? (Solution to my issue)  

RSS
Jonny
(@innerbreed)

Ok chaps, 

I see a lot of posts about heat bed issues regarding temp. 😆 

Let me set the scene.
My workshop in November has an ambient temp of around 12-15 degrees and i believe this to be the reason for the issue i have?! 🧐 

I had recently started up a print however the heat bed temp started to drop around 90% of the way there and the system just hung until i cancelled it to investigate. 

I tried it again and noticed that there was no head coming from the plate however the sensor was still working as i was able to apply external heat to the plate to test the sensor.

After a relatively sparse investigation i managed to narrow down my issue to the thermal fuse imbedded in the bed.
obviously no indication that it had blown however after a continuity test it became apparent that this was the issue. 

I have just ordered a new fuse to replace it.

There are no posts (that i have found) to show the tear down of the bed that led me to find this issue so i will try and post them once the fuse arrives and i am ready to put my hands on it again.

Although i dont condone anyone fixing there printer without first getting expert help or seeking a repair from CEL themselves, especially if still under warranty, However sometimes life calls you up and you have to solve things yourself. 

So my question is... Do you think that the cold temp in my workshop meant there was more strain on the heating side of things that it was over compensating? 😨 

Posted : 11th November 2020 3:21 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

No, the fuse blew because of one of two things:

1. The thermal paste dried out and was not replaced. This lead to a loss of consistent thermistor contact and the bed temperature was hotter than the thermistor read, so the bed overheated.

2. The bed thermistor was not seated properly and the bed overheated.

I tend to recommend replacing the thermal paste every year. 

The thermal fuse is triggered only by temperature, not by load.

Make sure that it is the fuse and not the bed power wire. If the bed power wire has broken, which will give the same indication as a blown fuse, it can short the mainboard and destroy it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12th November 2020 2:18 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.