Notifications
Clear all

Time-lapse Discussion  

RSS
George
(@george)
Member Admin

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of working on a new time-lapse feature that will allow a webcam to be plugged into a Root/Mote/Pro and used to create a images for a time-lapse of the print. Currently we have a feature that enables time-lapses to be made with a GoPro, I was wondering if anyone is using this feature? Would it be a problem if it was removed and replaced with the webcam version?

The reason I ask is it makes the development a lot cleaner for the web cam version if the GoPro option is removed. Obviously I don't want to get rid of a feature that is in use so I'm hoping to gauge interest here. If it is something people would like to keep then we can work to have both the webcam and the GoPro time-lapse options available.

Let me know what you think :)

George

Posted : 28th May 2019 4:13 pm
Enginwiz
(@enginwiz)
Estimable Member

Would this be the official RaspberryPi webcam or some kind of USB webcam?

I have a chinese wlan webcam with remote pan and tilt on the right side of the Robox. It works, but I don‘t like to use the cloud service that streams the Robox and my office to a server in China.

Would it be possible to get a livestream hosted by the RaspberryPi in the Root or Mote? That would be very much appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th May 2019 4:33 pm
George
(@george)
Member Admin

So this would be for USB webcams. Currently looking into adding Motion to the pi, which is compatible with most web cams I believe. It will allow the cam to take snapshots when we ask it, but it should also allow for streaming from the camera to a particular port. I'm not sure the quality of the stream will be amazing though, i.e. it will probably be a noticeably low frame-rate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29th May 2019 9:28 am
Enginwiz
(@enginwiz)
Estimable Member

The difference between a time-lapse and a smooth video stream lies in the frame rate. Maybe it would be a good solution to provide a user selectable frame rate. 

The RaspberryPi will set a speed limit for the frame rate. In my case it would be sufficient to see two or three frames per second on a mobile phone, that is in the same wlan as the root or mote. I just want to see that the print is progressing normally without walking to the Robox every five minutes.

An inexpensive USB webcam would be sufficient for this task.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th May 2019 6:36 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@george I moved this so it is more vis(it)ible

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17th October 2019 9:32 am
George liked
Roger
(@roger)
New Member Customer

Wauw, with the new update 4.02.00 we now have the possibility to connect an USB cam to the Root. I connected my Logitech C920 and started printing. I haven't found any settings where the movie or stills will be stored? The print is running right now, curious where I will find the images or movie :). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25th September 2020 6:02 pm
Tony Aldhous
(@taldhous)

@roger If a USB memory stick was plugged into the Pi while it was printing, the images will be stored on the stick in a directory named after the printer. Otherwise it will be stored on the Raspberry Pi itself in /home/pi/CEL\ Root/timelapse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th September 2020 5:36 pm
Juan Barbini
(@juan15pablo)
Trusted Member

I have a mote with picamera ( https://cel-uk.com/community/show-us-bits/picamera-on-robox/), and it seems it is not recognized to make timelapse.

Could be configured somehow?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th September 2020 4:38 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

There is some new info here

https://cel-robox.com/root#timelapse

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 5th October 2020 9:24 am
Juan Barbini
(@juan15pablo)
Trusted Member

@pete Any news on adding Rpi camera support?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 6th October 2020 11:49 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@juan15pablo

I don't have access to a pi camera but if fswebcam supports it then you should be able to create a profile

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/fswebcam.1.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 7th October 2020 10:32 am
Tony Aldhous
(@taldhous)

@juan15pablo The raspberry pi camera works with AutoMaker/Root (at least on my system) provided it is enabled on the Pi.

To enable it, you need to log onto the pi using SSH, and run raspi-config (remember to use sudo as it needs root privileges). Go to Interfaces and enable camera. Reboot the pi. On my system it comes up in AutoMaker as [0] camera0.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th October 2020 12:49 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.