Animation with retro arcade - Link to arcade.cel-uk.com
Notifications
Clear all

Help with printing my own model

Anonymous

I made the attached model in Tinkercad and tried printing it upside down so that it wouldn't require supports. Once it got to about layer 23 where the bigger rectangle starts, it didn't begin that shape by printing its edges first. This resulted in printing to air (see attached image) until after about 2 layers when it finally printed the edges as well. I used only 5% infill which of course didn't help. What would be the correct way to design and print this shape?

I don't know if I managed to explain this at all, so please ask if/when something isn't super clear :)
Attachment removed
Attachment removed
Topic starter Posted : 28th May 2017 8:19 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
Former USA Robox Support Moderator

@printer It looks to me like you have the infill set way too low for this model. I would set the infill to be at least 25% for this model, probably closer to 30 or 40.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29th May 2017 12:50 am
 Anonymous

This was a test print between designs so I used low infill to save time and filament. I can certainly increase it but I just thought it was weird how it printed into air when it could have printed the edges first. I have never seen it starting with infill and then proceeding to print the edges at first layer, for example (even though at first layer, this wouldn't be a problem since there is support from the base plate). Even with higher infill values and bad luck this might still be somewhat of a problem.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29th May 2017 10:47 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

The slicer will need to be tricked into building that properly. This is what it is doing.

If you put a really thin gap or a series of small holes you can make it treat the area as a perimeter.

In the example below I have cut a thin section of the model out, i made a thin slot. This makes the slicer treat it as an external surface so it gets a perimeters all the way around it, this would create sections for the following shapes to build on.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th May 2017 10:58 am
 Anonymous

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand where to make this gap. Are the pictures representing a layer and the yellow area is the part that gets printed? Is there a simple way for me to see this myself so I could confirm correct behavior before printing?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30th May 2017 11:49 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

I use Repetier to view gcode, there are other views available. Get Repetier Host.

https://www.repetier.com/download-now/

I also made a Windows shortcut to the temporary folder which shows all the sliced previews my path is

"C:UsersPeteAppDataRoamingCEL RoboxTimeCostTemp"

Yours will not say "Pete" after Users it will be your username.

If you look in the folders at that location you will see some files which say _robox.gcode, this is the code which is sent to Robox if you choose that setting. There is a folder each for Fine/Normal/Draft and Custom. These are updated whenever you go to the Settings page in AutoMaker.

I just drag the file I want to preview into Repetier. Other users have different preview preferences.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th May 2017 4:08 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

For your model, the easiest will be to make the fill higher as Ben suggested or you could increase the number of Top Solid Layers in the profile settings. If you do not want to do this then you could flip it over and use support.

To print using the defaults you would need to alter the design.

Make small features around the edges which will be built before the top surface of that ledge. Eg a gap or a series of small holes, anything which will be treated as an exterior (perimeter) surface.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th May 2017 4:22 pm
 Anonymous

Thank you for the tips, I will certainly play around with these to get a better understanding about slicing in general. Already made a second version of the model which for some reason printed perfectly, will have to take a look to see why :)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31st May 2017 9:22 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.
Images and content placed on this forum may be used by CEL and in related media without reward or attribution.